[C320-list] pad eye attached to deck

Robert E. Sloat resloat at comcast.net
Fri Jan 15 13:57:49 PST 2010

Bruce-Unless the pad eyes are obviously dedicated to holding something like
the bimini to the deck or a flag pendant, I think it would be prudent to use
backing plates.  Small eyes for my 2002 installed from the factory are used
for the bimini and sit on top of the edge of the deck in the cockpit area.
It looks like ss screws into the fiberglass is all that are used.  This is a
low load application and the eyes are small enough that not much anchoring
force would be required.

If the pad eyes used are large and no backing plate is used, then a
subsequent owner might get into a lot of trouble if large load was applied.
I installed large folding pad eyes from Wichard for my spinnaker and they
sell matching triangular backing plates which I used.  Fortunately, the pad
eyes are mounted laterally from the primary winches per Catalina deck plan
in my owner's manual through solid fiber glass.  One of the backing plates
hides behind the cosmetic woodwork in the aft cabin and the other ends up in
the port cockpit locker.

Robert I. Sloat
Savannah Hull 894