[C320-list] AGM Batteries and Battery Charger

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 28 06:00:05 PST 2010

Re. equalizing.  Battery charger mfgrs. seem to be backing away from
equalizing. Balmar told me they are removing the equalizing mode from at
least one of their ext. regulators in the next release. Another told me that
equalizing on a boat is impractical as the batteries should be removed from
the boat and equalized on-shore. Apparently, it's a process meant to be
closely monitored.

I have one portable 3-stage charger that has a "conditioning" mode. The one
I had prior (same mfgr,) had both a conditioning and equalizing option.
Also, there is a device (Sailor Solutions I think,) that is permanently
installed, runs on battery power and is more or less constantly
"conditioning."

Conditioning involves generating a low-power high frequency current that is
supposed to de-sulfate the plates.  I have been reluctant to sign-on to
this, yet I've not heard anything negative about it. Can anyone provide
relevant info?  How about it, Jeff H.?  Do you know anything about this?
Can it be harmful to batteries?

Warren & Pattie Updike
Catalina 320, #62, "Warr De Mar"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay