[C320-list] Yanmar 3YM30 - Leaking hose barb

Robert E. Sloat resloat at comcast.net
Sat Jul 3 07:21:58 PDT 2010

I use a small piece of foam pipe insulation to wrap the parts of any hoses that may rub on the engine or other other parts of the boat including hoses going through fiberglass holes.  The ID of the foam insulation used is close to the OD of the hose.  I use high quality nylon ties to secure the wrap to the hose.  On Hull 894 there are only a few places where this is needed in the engine area.

On my 3GM30F the small coolant hose connecting the heat exchanger to the plastic overflow jar rubs on one of the decompression levers on the engine.  For this I used a few wraps of electrical tape.

The foam pipe insulation also works on my power cord.  I am on a slip with electrical power so the power cord from the dock to the electrical inlet at the stern also has foam covering at certain points where it may rub with the dock or dock lines.  After a few season of laying the power cord on parts of the deck, I switched to hanging it on the dock connecting to the boat at the stern with 2 high strength Velcro straps holding the power cord to the stern rails.  This eliminated a lot of sticky residue deposited on the deck over time from the power cord, but increase chaffing potential.  Foam insulation to the rescue.

Bob Sloat
Savannah Hull 894