[C320-list] Rigging for 30+knts

Jeff Hare catalina at thehares.com
Wed Jul 14 06:08:00 PDT 2010

Dennis,

  The most important rule in my book is Mimimum Headway Speed.  Don't go any faster than you'd want to be going if you knew you were going to hit something.

Even with wind, current/waves, before you head into the slip area, figure out how slow you can go and maintain steerage, and what angle to wind / waves the bow needs to point to travel the direction you want.

Put out lots of fenders at appropriate places to protect your boat and others.

While it seems counter intuitive, *avoid* using the throttle at ALL COST during your approach.

Put the throttle at about idle and go in and out of gear to manage your speed.  This technique makes it much easier to focus on holding down boat speed and the precision of your approach.

Again, GO SLOWLY, and if you find you are going to hit, don't panic, just go to neutral and let it happen, let the boat settle and weigh the options then. Trying to power out of the situation nearly always makes things worse. This is why you were going as slowly as possible to begin with.  :)

I can't tell you how many times I see people coming in hot and trying to blast their way in because they think its the only way to get the boat in. When it fails (usually does), it is a high stress event taking place really fast, with damage to match.

Try using a mooring ball sometime to see just how slowly you can go and touch the boat's bow right on the ball from any direction you choose regardless of the wind/current direction. It'll do wonders for your confidence.
-Jeff