[C320-list] Whisker pole set up

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 14 06:34:25 PDT 2010

Alan, I used a padeye. Just be very careful to not drill any further than
the thickness of the mast material. I remember my drill bit did come out
with a slight bit of PCV from hitting the conduit.  Also, make sure the
screws don't project beyond the inside edge of the mast. Cut and file them
if necessary. I used a thread lock to secure and insulate the SS screws from
the mast.

>From what I could find, the inboard end of the pole should be at the same
height as the clew of the jib. I don't fly a spinnaker so I don't have the
need to adjust the inboard end.  I use it only for light air.  The padeye
works fine in this situation.

I use the stanchion-mounted holders from Forespar for storage. The pole is
out of the way and so far hasn't interfered with anything.

Warren & Pattie Updike
Catalina 320, #62, "Warr De Mar"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay