[C320-list] Rigging for 30+knts - Docking

Dennis Harris dharris02 at suddenlink.net
Thu Jul 15 17:18:42 PDT 2010

Chris,

Thanks for your suggestions.  I normally back down the fairway and into the
slip (in fairwind conditions), but this puts me in a down wind / cross wind
configuration, which is limited to about 10 kts. wind (if there is much of a
crosswind component) if the approach is to be made at low speed.  More wind
can cause momentary loss of control and can spin the boat around to any
undesired angle.  Your suggestion of going downwind bow first past the slip
and then backing up wind and then into the slip is a good one and would help
eliminate the tendency for the boat to fall off/spin which the down wind
backing approach creates.  I'll try practicing this a bit also.  However, in
high wind conditions, I believe that I will favor a bow first docking in the
slip because I believe that I will have better directional control.

My line set up is essentially same as you suggest: double braided lines on
pilings, second set on boat, and additional lines on boat for doubling up.
Also, I carry a good number of fenders.

I am comfortable with backing the boat....I stand a little to one side as I
steer it in reverse.  That puts me in a good position to keep a watch on
both ends of the boat.

Again thanks for you advice.

Dennis Harris C320 #694