[C320-list] Rigging for 30+knts - Docking

Chris Burti clburti at gmail.com
Fri Jul 16 07:44:00 PDT 2010

Dennis,
I have a factory OEM three bladed prop, which gives me excellent control in
reverse in a cross wind up to about 20 knots...as long as it is clean. It is
amazing what a few barnacles do to the efficiency of this prop in reverse
though. When it is even a little fouled, good control is limited after about
10 knots.

On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 8:18 PM, Dennis Harris <dharris02 at suddenlink.net>wrote:

> Chris,
>
> Thanks for your suggestions.  I normally back down the fairway and into the
> slip (in fairwind conditions), but this puts me in a down wind / cross wind
> configuration, which is limited to about 10 kts. wind (if there is much of a
> crosswind component) if the approach is to be made at low speed.  More wind
> can cause momentary loss of control and can spin the boat around to any
> undesired angle.  Your suggestion of going downwind bow first past the slip
> and then backing up wind and then into the slip is a good one and would help
> eliminate the tendency for the boat to fall off/spin which the down wind
> backing approach creates.  I'll try practicing this a bit also.  However, in
> high wind conditions, I believe that I will favor a bow first docking in the
> slip because I believe that I will have better directional control.
>
> My line set up is essentially same as you suggest: double braided lines on
> pilings, second set on boat, and additional lines on boat for doubling up.
> Also, I carry a good number of fenders.
>
> I am comfortable with backing the boat....I stand a little to one side as I
> steer it in reverse.  That puts me in a good position to keep a watch on
> both ends of the boat.
>
> Again thanks for you advice.
>
> Dennis Harris C320 #694
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Chris Burti" <clburti at gmail.com>

>>> then. Trying to power out of the situation nearly always makes things
>>> worse.
>>> This is why you were going as slowly as possible to begin with.  :)
>>>
>>> I can't tell you how many times I see people coming in hot and trying to
>>> blast their way in because they think its the only way to get the boat
>>> in.
>>> When it fails (usually does), it is a high stress event taking place
>>> really
>>> fast, with damage to match.
>>>
>>> Try using a mooring ball sometime to see just how slowly you can go and
>>> touch the boat's bow right on the ball from any direction you choose
>>> regardless of the wind/current direction. It'll do wonders for your
>>> confidence.
>>> -Jeff

>>> 200' down wind/cross wind.  Hazards are short finger pier on leeward side

--
Chris Burti Farmville, NC