[C320-list] Perkins M30 Parts

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 26 14:40:00 PDT 2010

Perkins labeled parts are pricy.  That said, here is what I've found: Trans
Atlantic Diesel (http://www.tadiesels.com/perkins-M20-M30-ck.html) has or
can get what you need.  Call them, their people are knowledgeable.

Also, www.foleyengines.com are Perkins and Ziff/Hurth (transmission,)
dealers. They seem knowledgeable; but, people have complained that they are
arrogant on the phone.

Defenders.com has the Globe impellers I use (Globe 6541)they call "RunDry"
in that they tout they will run dry for up to 15min. without damage.

For half the cost of a Perkins oil filter you can substitute the NAPAGold
1348 filter.  Like the Perkins, these filters have the internal bypass
valve.  When TAD was out of the Perkins filters they offered this as an
alternative at half the price.  I change my oil twice a year, on
decommissioning in the fall, and half way into the season or 50 hours
whichever comes first.

For local support, try
http://www.perkins.com/cda/components/fullArticle?m=106440&x=7&f=186503 to
find a dealer near you.  Our Perkins is essentially a tractor engine
marinized as the M30.  Any dealer should be able to get parts for you.

We have over 1500 hrs. on our M30 without a hitch.  I have replaced the
water pump (the internal cooling pump,) and I think the cooling water pump
needs a rebuild. Other than that, it runs on.

Please include your first name in posting and hull number so we know a
little more about you.

Warren & Pattie Updike
Catalina 320, #62, "Warr De Mar"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay