[C320-list] Peeling Bottom Paint

Charles Greenwell CGreenwell at sparusa.com
Wed Jun 2 07:02:42 PDT 2010

A little update on this issue.

I elected to have the bottom soda blasted.  Wow! What a great difference between this and sanding.  The hull is clean and very smooth, unlike the sanded hulls, which were rough to the touch.

Now the problems.  About 1 foot aft of the keel there is a 6x18 section of wet hull and blisters.  Additionally, where the shaft exits the hull there is what appears to be a 8x10 patch area around the exit opening for the shaft that is blistered.  Also, around the strut there appears to be the same type of patch which is also blistered.  These 2 areas have dozens of ¼ inch blisters throughout the patch area.

These are the major problem areas.  There are a number of pin holes in the gel coat in various place, mostly at the bow. These areas show no water penetration.

Bummer........ Now I have to figure out how to fix all of this without breaking the bank!  And there goes another month without sailing.

Randy

Hull 719

Le Bijou