[C320-list] Portable Solar Panel Connection

Mike Ott wmo48 at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 15 10:34:13 PDT 2010

Hello all,
Our boat is on a mooring, so gaining a few amps of electricity from the Sun would be a nice offset to running the engine for the first few hours on weekend cruises.
I would like to put a flexible solar panel on top of my Bimini and plug it into a cigarette lighter adapter on my engine instrument panel.  The adapter is for my search light and draws power from the engine harness wiring.  Would this system work ?  Would it create any problems with the engine harness wiring or the alternator to run power back through the harness to the batteries ?  would I have to leave the main battery selector swith on ?
I know this is not the best way to proceed but I'm just looking for a temporary fix for our short sailing season here in New England.
Regards,
Mike
'Amanda Lu'