[C320-list] Reefing System

Mike Paris mparis495 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 20 08:20:03 PDT 2010

(1) I've been having trouble with reefing the main. The tack reefing point lowers to the boom while the clew reefing point is still about 2 or 3 feet off. I've added blocks to each of the reefing points on the sail and it improved it somewhat but it did not solve the problem. The sheaves at the end of the boom do not turn. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

(2) Also, I took a number of sailing classes on a Catalina 42 in which they installed a reefing hook/horn at the tack end of the boom. They removed the reefing line from the tack end and only had it go through the clew end of the sail. Of course you have to walk out to the mast to reef but it never was a big problem. If I can't reef properly with the system I have now it is even more of a problem. Any thoughts on this system?

Thanks again,
Mike P.