[C320-list] Transmission Gear Shift Problem

Jack Fitzgibbon chuters at earthlink.net
Sat Jun 5 14:49:14 PDT 2010

Our C320 (#441) is equipped with a Yanmar 3GM30F engine. There is
approximately 675 hours on the engine.  When leaving the slip it readily
shifts into gear, Forward and Reverse.  However, recently, once warmed up,
the transmission does not want to shift into Forward.  I'll move the shift
handle into the Forward position and slowly start to advance the throttle
but the forward gear is not engaged.  If I continue to advance the throttle
it will suddenly bang into gear.   I checked the linkage.  With the shift
lever all the way in the forward position, against the binnacle, the lever
on the transmission can travel another .5" to the full forward position.  I
unpinned the linkage and rotated the barrel clockwise on the cable moving it
as far aft as possible.  I could take up only .25" of travel.  I went with
that adjustment for a sea trial.  Backed out of the slip ok, getting into
reverse is not an issue, shifted into forward at idle RPM and she went right
into gear like it normally would.  I thought the adjustment did the trick.
But when we returned to the dock there was 6 kt head wind and I shifted into
natural to coast into the slip.  Unfortunately, I didn't have enough boat
speed to make it into the slip, went to put in Forward and it didn't shift
into gear.  Eventually, I had to advance the throttle until it banged into
gear to slip the boat.

Has anyone experienced this condition?  If so what was the fix?

Thanks in advance

Jack
s/v wetted bliss