[C320-list] SPIN POLE TRACK, FUEL TANK REPLACEMENT TIP

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 5 14:02:26 PDT 2010

I, too, use the stanchion mounts. I think they are from Forespar. Never had
a problem with that arrangement. I also use a fixed eye on the front of the
mast for the pole. I use it only to pole the jib (no spinnaker) so I never
needed to move it up or down.

I can't speak to your mast that may be a Selden spar; but, on my #62 with
Sparcraft spars, the PVC conduits (2) are in the front of the mast (if
memory serves me.) One to the deck/steaming light, the other to the mast
top. The PVC tubes are split and slide onto a "T" extrusion inside the mast.
Be very careful when drilling in the front of the mast that you don't drill
into these tubes. Drill no further than the thickness of the mast.

As for rigging the pole on the jib, I had been doing it the hard way (read
"wrong.") Search YouTube with "kretschmer whisker" for a video on using a
pole. It's much easier than what I've been doing (we won't talk about that.)

Warren & Pattie Updike
Catalina 320, #62, "Warr De Mar"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay