[C320-list] Water pump

argates2nd at comcast.net argates2nd at comcast.net
Sun Jun 20 04:14:42 PDT 2010

Michael,

I noticed no leak before the skreeching, which occurred after a 6 month layup and 5 hours of engine use.  When I first heard the noise I thought it was the alternator belt slipping.

I found a new pump via web search and it was shipped from PA or thereabouts.  There is a plate that butts one side of the gasket that should also be replaced since the old gasket is likely to make a mess of that plate.  I replaced the gasket and thermostat at the same time.

It is also a good time to replace the belt.

It took me a while to see all of these needs which resulted in 2 shipments -- the 2nd shipment was an overnight because I needed it done before racing within a couple days.

If I had had all the parts at hand the first time, it might just have taken several hours for the replacement -- and I usually learn how to do these projects the hard way -- taking at least 2-3 times what it would take a pro.

One other time, I had a screw at the bottom of the impellar housing come out causing a big spraying leak behind the engine cover and onto the galley sole.  Reinserted screw.

Another time, I had to replace a seal in the water pump.  It was a straightforward job.  That was a few years ago but I think leaking was involved.

Although our boat is a Perkins 1995 #181, it only has 550 hours on the engine.  I think the water pump issues are from usage intervals from 6-7 month layups.

I agree with Jeff's view below.  One beauty of the Bahamas is that if you want or need to sail and the wind stops you can anchor just about everywhere in fairly shallow water and out of traffic lanes -- to wait for the wind, etc.  Good luck, Rollie