[C320-list] Fuel Filter

hcreech at comcast.net hcreech at comcast.net
Thu Jun 24 01:54:10 PDT 2010

Joe,
There are many ways to bleed, but if not done correctly the engine will usually start, but then shut down almost immediately. I will tell you how I do it, taught to me by a diesel mechanic when I first purchased the boat. It works every time. After both filters have been replaced there is a small pump handle on the starboard side of the engine that will pump fuel through the system. It is located just prior to the secondary filter. To the right of the secondary filter, near the front of the engine is the banjo assembly, called that because it looks like a banjo. On the banjo assembly is the bleed screw. Remove the bleed screw completely, being careful not to lose or damage the metal washer below the screw. If you don't replace, or damage this washer, air will leak back into the system. Here is the trick that the mechanic taught me and it is very cool. You could pump and pump and pump the small lever I mentioned previously until you get a steady flow from the bleed screw opening, but it takes forever and is extremely messy, and BTW another trick he taught me was to place baby diapers beneath the banjo assembly while doing this to catch diesel. Before someone complains about this technique, there is also a small pump on the primary filter that will also move fuel through the system, but with this technique I have never used that pump. Here is the trick; Using the same oil pump that you use to pump out oil from the engine, place the tip against the bleed screw hole. Once suction is applied watch the diesel in the tube and suck until no bubbles are present, won't take long. Once you see a steady stream stop. Replace the bleed screw and washer, but don't tighten so that fuel will still leak out. Then depress the manual pump handle several times to observe fuel leaking from the screw, then tighten the screw snugly, you are done. In the ten years I have been doing this I have never had to re-bleed after the first attempt. If you have any other questions please let me know.

Herb