[C320-list] Steering Quadrant: 5-6 hours to replace?

Kevin onedrop7 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 8 14:45:50 PST 2010

I have a small crack in the steering quadrant in my '95 C320. I got an estimate from my boatyard guys of 5-6 hours labor to replace it.

Question to those of you experienced with this: Is that reasonable? It does seem like a bit of a tricky exercise and I have never done it, but my gut feeling is that 2-3 hours should suffice for an experienced hand. Am I off base?

If it's really going to cost me $425-510 (at their $85/hour rate) that is motivation to have a crack at it myself, if it's something that can be tackled by a novice.

Thoughts?

Thanks much.

Kevin
S/V Cecilia Ann, #211