[C320-list] Topping Lift

Taylor Devlin tdevlin944 at msn.com
Sat Mar 20 15:09:05 PDT 2010

Our 320, #938, has in-mast furling.  It has a topping lift, and a hard vang.  My question is what to do with the topping lift when the main is fully out.  Do I leave it, or should it be adjusted/loosened?  The line runs down inside the mast and then is coiled at the base of the mast.  If it is meant to be adjusted, it seems odd that it hasn't been run back to the cockpit like the sheets and halyards.  Ours is the only boat with this system at our club, so although advice is plentiful, it isn't offered from experience.  Your advice would be gratefully received.

Taylor Devlin
Escape, 938