[C320-list] steering tight

Chris Burti clburti at gmail.com
Mon Mar 8 13:56:37 PST 2010

Ok...I  have to say that I find it hard to believe you could hit anything at
2-3 knots that would bend the rudder without stopping the boat dead, it is a
pretty substantial hunk of stainless steel tubing...but stuff happens.

I would take the cable off the quadrant first just to make absolutely
certain it is not the steering gear binding somewhere you cant see. The
rudder post is metal against plastic (FRP) rudder tube and is essentially
self lubricating..absent getting dirt in there, it is a not maintenance item
and you really can't flush it effectively without dropping it.

If it is bent, then it is more likely that you hit a glancing blow that
deflected the rudder laterally. If that is the case, there is no way for a
diver to spot it, you will need a quick haul...That is the way mine was bent
and the rudder blade never made contact with the hull the tubing of the post
barely bent right where it went into the rudder tube and kinked just enough
to bind in the rudder tube... if you haven't been hauled lately a pressure
wash may be in order to help ease the sting of the cost.

Note that the rudders on the later  models (after they shortened the wing
keel) are a couple of inched longer than the keel, so it is technically
possible to hit something with the rudder that the keel misses.

--
Chris Burti Farmville, NC