[C320-list] Topping Lift

Andrew Santangelo andrew_santangelo at mac.com
Sun Mar 21 05:18:25 PDT 2010

We used to have a topping lift on "Dawn Treader", when it had the
Dutchman System.  Main purpose was two fold - to hold the Dutchman
Lines and to raise the boom out of the way.

When we went to racing sails (great for cruising too), out came the
topping lift completely.  Now we use the Main Halyard a topping lift
when it is not holding up the main sail.

Either way raising the boom up under power and at the dock is nice -
the boom is up high and out of the way.  And it does take some strain
off the vang.  I personally would prefer the boom not resting on the
vang - the boom is too low then. And I am a short guy!

Best Regard,
Andrew

C320 "Dawn Treader"
San Francisco