[C320-list] FUEL TANK QUESTION

Allan S. Field allan.field at verizon.net
Mon Mar 29 16:24:21 PDT 2010

Pete - following is a thread from a few years ago that I saved on this
topic.  Hope it helps.

Allan S. Field
Sea Shadow - #808
Columbia, MD

Fuel Tank Removal

Well I confirmed the worst case scenario this weekend. My fuel tank is
indeed leaking somewhere on the bottom. I will be calling Catalina this
morning to get a new tank, so any advice on removing the tank and removing
the fuel in the tank would be greatly appreciated. Hopefully I can get one
quickly enough to not end the rest of my season :(

I took a look at what Nigel Calder had to say about fuel tanks and was quite
surprised to read that a study conducted by the ABYC revealed a tank life
for aluminum to be between 7.6 years and 17 years! Production and quality
control seem to make the difference in the life of the tanks. My boat is a
'99, so this seems really premature.

Does anyone have a suggestion on the type of transfer pump I can use
(siphoning is not an option).? Someone at the marina mentioned that there is
pump that can be attached to a drill and is okay to use with diesel, but
haven't been able to find one...Thanks in advance for any advice!

Regards,

Jon Vez
Mine failed after two years!

In my case, one of the welded seams had a tiny pin hole in it. It took me
weeks to find it. I share your pain.

Looks like you already have some advice on getting the fuel out. This is
very important, since you need to get it all out in order to be able to move
the tank around to get it out. I discovered that the only way to get the
tank out is through the aft cabin access opening. You have to remove the
wooden frame around the opening and the tank will just fit through it. Mine
had a metal strap that secured the tank to the hull. It was not reusable, so
I cut it with a pair of metal cutters - not too hard as I remember.

After disconnecting the hoses and the wiring to the sensor, you have to get
the tank over to the port side so you can fit it through the aft cabin
opening. I got a new tank from Catalina (Frank later reimbursed me, even
though my boat was out of warranty). Installing the new tank was just a
reverse of the removal process. I bought a tank hold down strap from my
local boating store and resecured the tank. Keep the old sensor. I didn't
and my new sensor isn't nearly as accurate as the old one. The sensor is
easily replaced.

Good luck!

Ray Durand, #822
Marina del Rey
Ray,
First of all, thanks for the advice on removing the tank from the aft cabin
access--saved me a lot of time!

For those of you who may have to go through this, this is how I successfully
removed and installed a new tank yesterday--

I found that I too had a pinhole leak in a weld--looks like the tank had
enough room to move around a bit and I'm sure this didn't help. The newer
tanks are thicker (my original was .90mm and the 'new' one .125mm). I got
the tank from Catalina in two days, but it was manufactured in July of 04.
Didn't come in a box, so it was pretty scratched up when I got it, so I hope
it holds!

To remove the fuel: I ended up using a Siphon Mate, which is a simple pump
that costs $27.99 at Defender. I also bought a pump that fits on a drill and
is a simple impeller for 15 bucks at a hardware store, but my drill wasn't
powerful enough, so I went with the hand pump.

To remove the old tank: This was much easier than I anticipated. Once empty
it came right out using the aft cabin access panel (the lazarette is about a
1/2" to small (thanks again Ray!). You need to unscrew all of the
connections holding the hoses in place and remove the boards over the tank.
The board to port was a pain to remove and if I ever have to do this again,
I will trim it to get it in and out more easily.

The new tank: Catalina sent me the tank with the fuel inlet and return
connections both pointed in the wrong direction and the barbs too small for
the hoses! Changing out the hoses wasn't an option because all of the
connections on the engine side call for the hose size already in the boat.
To solve this problem, I took the connections from the old tank and refit
them onto the new tank. The problem is that the old hose barbs are made of
bronze and I had no way of isolating these from the aluminum tank other than
teflon tape. So I will be calling the tank manufacturer tomorrow to see if I
can get the right size barbs in aluminum (West and others don't seem to
carry and I can't find a stainless insert to separate the two metals.

Overall, it was an all day job and not one I want to do again, but it wasn't
an impossible task. I am very frustrated that the old tank 1) failed so
soon, and 2) Catalina didn't provide me with a drop in replacement ($377
plus shipping by the way).

Finally, I did get a chance to check the condition of the fuel and tank as
far as sludge and I'm very pleased to find that I had no sludge and the fuel
was extremely clean! So I will continue with my regimen of keeping the tank
topped up and using Biobor as a anti-microbial....If anyone is interested in
more detail, let me know...Thanks to everyone who provided advice!

Regards,

Jon Vez