[C320-list] Just finished the engine commissoning... Yanmar 3YM30

Brad Kuether bkuether at comcast.net
Fri May 14 17:00:22 PDT 2010

I just finished comissioning the Yanmar 3Ym30 on Independence.

Honestly, that was a LOT easier than the 2GM I had prior.

Water pump is right there and easy to change although the rotation is oposite then whay is on the cover.
Fuel filter is right there in front with enough room to grap with channel locks to twist off the locking ring.
The lift pump was real close so I could pump and bleed at the same time.
Water filter was accesable.
Fuel water separator was accessable although a little tight.

After changing out the filters which did take a bit due to first time jitters and a Racor who's bowl wouldn't come off, I had the engine running in about 15 mins.

It did the cough cough as the "automatic" air purging system did its thing.

Question for the group:

  a.. Has anyone change the valve that does the autopurge?  And was it because it needed it or just because....
  b.. Has anyone had any issues with these engines overheating due to small heat exchanger?
I read that some Beneteau owners are having trouble with their US 3YMs with regards to overheating.

Looking forward to first sail this sunday.

-Brad, Mary, Monica, and Jarod
"Independence"
2004 Catalina 320 Hull 1006
Middle River, MD