[C320-list] Help, Please with this questions: What is the minimum generator wattage necessary to efficiently run my 30 AMP onboard charger?

Rick Sulewski rsulewski at bex.net
Sat May 22 21:20:52 PDT 2010

Help, please!

Understanding that there have been discussions from time to time about the
size of the portable gasoline chargers to run the onboard chargers (I have
30 amp unit on my 1995 320), has anyone figured out the minimum wattage
generator needed to efficiently run the charger?

I am considering if it is best to go with a 42 lb Yamaha 2000
inverter/generator rated at a max of 13.5 amps and 1,600 watts, or the 27 lb
Yamaha 1000 rated at a max of 8 amps and 900 watts.

I considered a larger Yamaha inverter/generator with a max 21 amp and 2400
watts to run the 16.5K AC/Heat unit, but I understand that the weight jumps
to about 70 lb and is much too large and bulky to store in the aft corner
storage lockers.

Thanks for your help.

Rick

My-Ria #277