[C320-list] Peeling Bottom Paint

Charles Greenwell CGreenwell at sparusa.com
Tue May 25 06:20:47 PDT 2010

The bottom paint on my boat has been flaking off for years now and I've
decided its time to bite the bullet and fix it.  It is obvious that the
problem is due to the initial hull cleaning.  I have large chunks (4
inch diameter) simply flaking off. It's a mess.  I have been using Petit
SR ablative paint from day one and the hull has been painted 6 times in
10 years. The flaking started after the 3rd year and has progressively
got worse.

I have looked into a number of options, Peel Away, sanding, and soda
blasting.

I watched a guy do his 40 footer with Peel Away.  After he used the
product, he still needed to hire someone to do a bunch of sanding. It
took him a couple of days to do the Peel Away, then a couple of more for
sanding.  In the end, he had to put on a barrier coat because the
sanding process roughed up the gel coat quite a bit and he was afraid
that there would be problems done the road. He said that he would not do
it this way again.

There are a couple of boats in the yard that are being sanded right now.
I looked at the finished job and discussed having my boat done. Again, I
was told that most likelihood a barrier coat would be needed after
sanding.  These hulls were a little rough to the touch and I see why.

Finally, I found a guy soda blasting a boat.  It took him about 6 hours
to do a 36 footer.  When he was done, the gel coat was still shinny and
smooth to the touch.  There was a few spots that he had to sand, the
keel joint, because he did not want to take a chance causing any damage.

The estimate for sanding the bottom is $75 foot plus materials.  This
includes the labor for applying the barrier coat.

The estimate for soda blasting was $40 foot.  I most likely will not
need a barrier coat with this process. This guy has a portfolio that
spans over 400 boats, including many Catalina's for a dealer.

So, I am leaning towards the soda blasting.  Its less expensive and in
the end I may not need to apply a barrier coat.  Its not that I am
against putting one on, its just that it would be one more maintenance
thing to worry about down the road. Not to mention the added cost.

Has anyone had their boat soda blasted?

What do I need to worry about if I apply a barrier coat since these
hulls really do not need one? Will it affect the resale value?

Randy
Le Bijou
Hull 719
Year 2000