[C320-list] Help, Please with this questions: What is the minimum generator wattagenecessary to efficiently run my 30 AMP onboard charger?

Robert E. Sloat resloat at comcast.net
Sun May 23 06:12:43 PDT 2010

The specs. for my Xantrex 20 amp charger on hull 894 requires 4.6 amps from
120 volts so the amp requirement is about 550 watts on the AC side.  Check
out the Honda site where there is a guide for size of generators needed for
various AC loads.  There is the issue of inductance loading which is a heavy
load start up phenomenon which can easily double the wattage requirement. I
don't think it applies to a Xantrex type device.

The other items raised including hot water heater, air conditioning and
other electrical devices which will be a temptation when an AC source is
available away from the dock should be factored into the generator sizing
decision.

I have the very light Honda 2000 which I used for emergency backup at home
for small sump pumps and powering electrical hand tools at remote locations.
It is very quiet and fairly light.  I don't bring it on board and think you
would have to figure out where to safely store gasoline and the charger when
under way.  I can't imagine a 1 or 2 gallon tank of gasoline to feed the
generator sitting inside my boat when things get rough.  I guess you could
lash the tank to the stern.

Bob Sloat
Savannah Hull 894