[C320-list] Transmission in Reverse

Allan S. Field allan.field at verizon.net
Sun Oct 10 15:50:50 PDT 2010

Several weeks ago, there was a post citing a technical bulletin from Yanmar
that recommended sailing with the transmission in neutral, versus reverse as
I was taught and have been doing for many years.  At the Annapolis Boat Show
on Friday, I asked the local Yanmar repair shop for their recommendation.
The mechanic asked me 2 questions: how long have I been sailing with the
transmission in reverse and have I had any problems?  The answers were 9
years with this boat and 13 with the previous one, and never an issue.  His
recommendation was to continue doing what I'm doing as he has never seen a
problem with this also.  I reminded him of the technical bulletin and he had
no response to that.

So I went to Mack Boring, the alleged Yanmar experts.  The first guy I asked
sent me to the senior expert.  I described the technical bulletin, he was
well aware of it, and replied that the bulletin was in response to a legal
concern from the lawyers.  Seems that once the engine is shutdown and the
transmission is shifted into reverse - which I well know - one can only
start the engine with the transmission in reverse.  If one does not
immediately shift either to neutral or forward, then the boat is going to
start doing unintended things which is what made the lawyers "jervous and
nerky."  His very firm recommendation was to continue to put the
transmission in reverse while sailing as since nothing moves, nothing wears,
keeping in mind to immediately shift out of reverse once the engine is
running.  So that is what I will continue to do!

My Legal Disclaimer - I am only sharing this in response to previous posts
and to let folks know what I continue to do.  This is not intended to serve
as your legal or mechanical advice!

Allan S. Field
Sea Shadow - #808
Herrington Harbour South