[C320-list] Humming Noise from boom

William Russell RussellW at oacsd.org
Wed Oct 13 15:27:41 PDT 2010

Cliff's description exactly matches my experience on my previous boat (Catalina 30) - except in my case, the humming noise in a breeze came from the vibrating topping lift, which produced a tone akin to the low "E" on my bass guitar.  Easing the sheet slightly did the trick.
Bill Russell
"Little Wing" (#545)
Ithaca, NY

> 2010/10/12 Lee, Cliff <CLee at kbcat.com>:
> > I would like to submit a response to the "Humming noise from boom" string, but am not sure how.  Is this the proper avenue or do I need to go ?  My response is:
>
> > FYI, we were moored one evening during a strong breeze.  When we went below, we heard a strong vibration/throbbing sound that sounded just like there was a large power boat bearing down on us.  After several trips on deck to find no traffic, we finally discovered we had the mainsheet so tight that the resonant frequency of the sheet and boom were matching the wind frequency.  We eased up slightly on the mainsheet and it went away.  Much better peace of mind.
> >

> > Cliff Lee
> >
> > Comfort Zone (#268)

> > Cliff Lee ? Principal Consultant ? KBC Advanced Technologies, Inc.
> >
> > T + 1 973 889 8922 ? +1 281 597 3514 ? M +1 973 652 4035 ? F +1 973 889 8923
> >

> <c320-list at catalina320.com>
> >

> t, 2001, Hull 784
> >

> >> solution.
> >

> >> Bob

End of C320-list Digest, Vol 920, Issue 1