[C320-list] OK now its personal - Lewmar hatch leaks

Andrew Santangelo andrew_santangelo at mac.com
Fri Oct 1 21:55:09 PDT 2010

Way back when sailing out of Holland, Michigan the two main big
hatches leaked after about 7 seasons of sailing.  One hatch was
replaced (I cannot recall all the issues), both were pulled, rebedded
and sealed up.  Anchorage Marina did all the work and did an excellent
job.  No problems since, including the massive storms in San Francisco
that occurred in February this year.

One other confounding leak I had the last three seasons was heavily
impacting the aft cabin and closet.  Boards were beginning to warp,
water collected in the closet, and water drained in the shelves and
onto the mattresses.   So the project was finding the leak - damage
was being done.  Near as I could tell the leak was coming from the
stanchion.  I used a this Captain Tolley Creeping Crack Cure, and a
miracle occurred - the leak stopped!

However always realize in major rain storms it seems water will find a
way into the boat.

Best Regards,
Andrew
C320 "Dawn Treader"