[C320-list] Perkins Diesel - Engine Coolant Change

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 7 12:24:26 PDT 2010

For what it's worth, Bryan, what I do each year is drain a gallon from the
block and replace it with a fresh gallon.  I use the 50/50 premix stuff
that's compatible with all types. Find it at your auto store.  A tad more
expensive that the full-strength stuff but less of a headache.

On the stbd side of the block just fwd of the oil filter you'll find a
petcock on the block. I have a rubber hose permanently attach for
convenience. Loosen the filler cap on the heat exchanger so air can replace
the AF or you won't get much out.  Stick the hose in a container and open
the petcock.  Take out as much as you like and replace with a like quantity.
This way you won't have to be concerned with air block in the heater hose.
The little bit that's left won't be a problem.

Having said that, if you haven't ever changed the AF or you're not sure how
old it is, you should completely drain it out and blow out the heater hoses.
Refill with water and run the engine for 5 or 10 minutes then drain.  If the
water doesn't look clean, repeat the process until it is clear.  Then,
refill with new AF. Prime the heater hoses by removing the highest one.
Insert a funnel in the end of the hose and while holding it above the
engine, pour new AF in until it returns to the place where you removed the
hose. Put your thumb over the end of the hose and return it to the engine.
Again, run the engine until it's hot checking for any leaks from hoses or
the petcock.

In any event, don't forget to check the expansion bottle behind the engine
and add some AF to the cold or hot mark depending.

Warren & Pattie Updike
1994 C320 #62 "Warr de Mar"

PS you don't say where you are or how long you've had the boat. We've had
#62 for six years. We older (Perkins) boats need to stick together.