[C320-list] Winterizing Engine

Joseph Aberdale summerwind3 at comcast.net
Mon Sep 27 17:19:56 PDT 2010

Hello All,

I am a new owner of a 2002 model, have hauled it out and want to
learn how to winterize my boat and engine. Your generous assistance
allowed me to successfully winterize the boat.  I changed the oil and
filter in my engine and today attempted to run anti freeze through
the cooling system.

I drained the water from the aqua muffler and emptied the water from
the intake strainer bowl. The water intake hose was disconnected from
the seacock and placed in a pail of antifreeze.  When the engine was
started, it failed to suck up the anti freeze.  I primed the hose by
filling it with anti freeze and it still wouldn't suck up the
antifreeze.  I opened the water pump to check the impeller and it
looked OK. (What does a bad impeller look like?)  I did notice that
the water pump had no gasket.  Is it supposed to? How can I get the
cooling intake hose to suck in the anti freeze?

Thank you for your help.

Joe