[C320-list] Hurricane Earl

Jeff Hare catalina at thehares.com
Wed Sep 1 05:38:56 PDT 2010

In our area Bob, land is the best option as yards around here are used to blocking boats on stands for high winds.  Maybe 100 mph winds would require some staked lines or tied off on trees.  I know my boat with cover has done fine in 70mph on land. Ins companies will often pay for haulout if a storm is imminent and damage is likely.

I would say moorings next assuming the mooring block and tackle is solid.

Docks are the worst because the boat will get pounded a lot and can't face the wind.

Take your canvas down, center the boom and tie off the aft end to both stern cleats. Secure all loose lines and lead halyards where they won't chaffe on the spreaders.

 -Jeff