[C320-list] A High Pitched Whine Noise

Melissa&Larry Leibman theleibmans at verizon.net
Fri Sep 10 13:20:41 PDT 2010

Dave,

I have had a similar noise on Easy Going for the last two seasons. The winter
after we purchased her I applied antifouling to the prop using my usual Interlux
application schedule and that season upon launching noticed the whining noise in
a similar rpm range to yours. Coincidentally we had also changed the flax
packing to GFO so I assumed it was related to that. However, after sticking my
head down in the engine compartment I convinced myself the sound was coming
from further aft than the stern tube and was likely from the propeller itself.

The noise seems to be mostly an annoyance at this point and I generally just
avoid that fairly narrow rpm range. A potential way to mitigate propeller
singing is to chamfer the trailing edge. Although I did not do this on Easy
Going, I did do a very modest flattening of the trailing edge this past
off-season. I'm somewhat loathe to remove much material from the prop to avoid
imbalance issues. After launch this season the noise was still there. It may be
less, I'm not sure.

Here is a reference to a white paper with some information on the phenomenon if
you are interested.

http://www.hydrocompinc.com/knowledge/whitepapers/HC138-SingingPropellers.pdf

Larry
Easy Going, #609