[C320-list] Crew Overboard!

Dean Vermeire dean at vermeire.us
Tue Sep 14 12:56:03 PDT 2010

  One of the things that has given us a false sense of security is that
we are in very safe waters.  We have no currents to deal with, small
waves, and we are always pretty close to shore.  We do not routinely
wear life jackets, unless there is bad weather.  The hounds normally
wear their life jackets, but not always - as was the case this weekend.

I failed to mention in my original post that there was another danger to
be dealt with.  The netting that I will put from the stanchions to the
cabin top is really to prevent the dogs from getting injured up front.
I'm glad that the beagle got bumped overboard, rather than getting
seriously injured by the force of the jib sheet going taught, the jib
flogging, or the traveler moving about.  Sailboats are not very
forgiving to mistakes.