[C320-list] Crew Overboard!

Annie Bennett annie at sydneyprivatesailing.com.au
Wed Sep 15 12:36:16 PDT 2010

  I wonder what percentage of us take our dogs or other animals
sailing with us  My miniature schnauzer, Fitz, always accompanies me
on Topcat but as soon as we get on the boat she whoofs to be taken
below deck out of the sun  She keeps a beady eye on what is happening
on deck from the couch and is quick to jump to the low side after a
tack but she can't manage the companionway stairs and finds the
cockpit very slippery so only comes on deck when she is sitting being
held on someone's lap.  In winter she makes a good hot waterbottle.

We tried lifejackets and little red leather booties for better grip
but as she only wants to be on deck when we are moored and with the
sun awning up decided not to get either - although with a more active
dog I think a life jacket would be essential.

Annie Bennett
1073