[C320-list] Active Captain for cruisers

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 20 17:56:33 PDT 2011

Just in case some of you haven't heard about ActiveCaptain.com, here is a
service that cruisers may find very useful.  It's an interactive cruising
guide with POIs contributed by boaters like you and me.  And, apparently,
it's world-wide. Best of all, it's FREE.  There are other benefits you can
check-out on their web site.

I was a user of SeaClear II, a FREE PC charting program that communicates
with your GPS, and allows creation of waypoints and routes on charts that
can be uploaded to your GPS.  It also accepts a real-time input from your
GPS to plot your course on a chart.  It's a PC chart plotter.  However, with
the advent of ActiveCaptain and another PC plotter by PolarNavy, the Active
Captain Points-of-Interest can be downloaded, stored, and displayed on a
chart: vector or raster.  I won't go into the differences; but, PolarNav and
PolarCOM (both for a measly $40,) have a number of improvements over
SeaClear.  I've switched.  I get all the ActiveCaptain POIs as often as I
like even when there is no internet connection, and I can add new ones or
update existing ones and upload them (when there is a WiFi connection.)
It's worth a look.

BTW, I have no commercial interest in ActiveCaptain.  I'm only a user and
thought this of sufficient value and interest to warrant a mention on this
list.

Warren & Pattie Updike

1994 C320 #62 "Warr De Mar"