[C320-list] Perkins raw water impeller rotation

Alan Goodman goodmanalanlee at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 21 14:01:28 PDT 2011

I am going to install a new raw water impeller on my Perkins, hull #67.  Facing the engine from the cabin (i.e. with my backside visible from the vee berth, pardon the imagery), which direction does it rotate - counterclockwise or clockwise?  I want to pre-bend the vanes in the correct orientation.

BTW, the PO had changed the impeller prior to last season (which was my first season), so imagine my horror when I found 4 vanes missing.  Long story short, I found 11 vanes at the tube stack inlet into the heat exchanger ... implying that multiple seasons passed without his retrieving 'lost' vanes.  Moral to the story, pull the inlet to the heat exchanger if you are not the original owner.  I was running a bit hot (200 F) last season, but there seemed to be adequate water flow out the hull discharge.  I ascribed the slightly elevated temperature to a scaled heat exchanger and discovered the vanes blocking free flow while dissassembling the heat exchanger for an acid clean and preparing to flush the engine block (I have almost 1000 hours).   Lesson learned ... trouble shoot the simple stuff first !!

Alan hull 67 Holland MI