[C320-list] Perkins raw water impeller rotation

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 22 13:22:04 PDT 2011

Alan, sounds like a duplicate of my story only it was 7 vanes from 3
impellers lodged in the heat exchanger.  I had the boat for 3 years with no
problems.  Engine temp even was normal, that is, until that fateful day.
That's when I found the little buggers.

As for direction of rotation, on my pump the direction is indicated by a
curved line and arrow around the circumference of the cover.  I believe,
from memory, that it is counter clock-wise.  That means the vanes would bend
toward your right.  I'm not sure it matters as once the pump starts I
imagine the vanes will take their proper position.  Pre-bend won't hurt,
though.

Once you have the old one out, I recommend lubricating the inside of the
pump chamber liberally with dish detergent or the like.  This helps during
the initial dry period and provides an indication in the exhaust when the
new water comes through: it will have bubbles.

Warren & Pattie Updike
1994 C320 #62 "Warr De Mar"