[C320-list] Shower Sump

Stephen Cox scox at timmin.com
Sun Apr 10 17:12:42 PDT 2011

> Interesting. On my hull, built just 28 before yours, the
> icebox drain goes to a "Y valve" that uses a pump to drain
> either the shower or the icebox depending on where it is set.
> Same as Dave's. I guess draining to the bilge saves the cost
> of a valve and doesn't add much water to the bilge. On the
> positive side, your arraignment avoids the problem of the
> icebox filling with water until I remember to run the drain.
> Your setup also has less to go wrong and doesn't require you
> to climb under the sink to turn a valve.
> Overall it might be an improvement.

My Mk II also doesn't have the Y valve, just draining to the bilge.  The
problem is the hose is quite short rather than going all the way to the
bilge sump.  Thus if anything sticky, gooey or messy goes down the ice box
drain it gets spread over potentially quite an area before making its way to
the sump.  No doubt saves a few dollars for Catalina but its penny pinching
in my view.  Much harder for us owners to fit another hose once its all
assembled.

I have also had my shower sump pump refuse to prime even after cleaning out
the filter.  Had to dismantle the whole pump, which was quite an effort to
get out from under the head sink cabinet, to find the smallest bit of
whatever preventing one of the inbuilt valves from closing fully.  It was
enough to stop it working.

Stephen Cox
Tegwen #1141