[C320-list] Perkins Raw Water Pump Follow Up

Welch, Myron D myron-welch at uiowa.edu
Wed Aug 17 18:57:42 PDT 2011

After much work finding a replacement pump, the job is finally done. Some of you have asked for a follow up.

I found a pump at Diesel Parts Direct for $598 and then Trans Atlantic Diesel for $404.  Torresen found it for $237 or $119 for the rebuild kit, so I had them ship me the new pump. Unfortunately, it was the fresh water pump, not the raw water. Their supplier would have to have one shipped from England at close to $600.

I then purchased the pump from TAD. They shipped part #24950-1701 which looked quite different than our #24950-1101. Rather than a round impeller cover with 6 screws, it has a shield shape with 3 cap screws (which should be easier to change).  Also, unlike our exposed shaft, the shaft is completely covered and has 4 weep holes.

After much discussion with the helpful people at TAD, they called England and were assured that this is the correct replacement.  I just had to remove and then install the drive gear on the new pump and it dropped in easily.

I will now rebuild the old pump and keep it for a spare.

I hope this information is helpful to fellow Perkins owners.

Myron Welch
Wind Instrument #238
Iowa City, Iowa

Sent from my iPod Touch