[C320-list] Follow up on leaking Aqua Lift muffler and proper epoxy

Alan Goodman goodmanalanlee at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 18 18:56:56 PDT 2011

About 10 days ago I posted a question asking what the water/exhaust gas temperature might be in the Aqua Lift muffler behind my Perkins M30.  Recall I had a leak in the factory seam on the bottom of the muffler where the flat bottom panel is joined to the 'top hat' box.  The factory seal is some sort of resin troweled over the seam and adjoining surfaces.  It was this resin that cracked, and fortunately not the muffler.  I had to make my initial repair overnight while on a 2 week voyage on Lake Michigan ... rout out the crack and fill with two part quick cure epoxy from my tool kit (I recommend everyone carry a Dremel as part of their tool kit).  Towards the end of the trip, the leak reappeared. I called the epoxy manufacturer to discover that (a) the epoxy was not suitable for continuous contact with water and (2) that its use should be limited to dry applications under 100 deg F.  So here is the new information to share with the forum ...  West Systems GFlex two part toughened epoxy is the most suitable resin available in the consumer market  ... good to 130 deg F in continuous contact with water.  My leak is gone, and $350 saved by not having to replace the Aqua Lift muffler (not to mention the down time since you have to first return your old muffler so that the factory can duplicate the original dimensions).  Conclusion ... the temperatures inside the muffler do not exceed 130 deg F.  Alan Hull 67 Holland MI