[C320-list] Broken Stanchion

hcreech at comcast.net hcreech at comcast.net
Sat Aug 6 08:43:33 PDT 2011

Joe,
Just so you know what I went through, a little embarrassing, I actually broke this stanchion about five years ago and since I did not fix it properly developed a leak. I was determined to fix it properly this year and am happy to report I did. Although in a different location sounds likes the same job. First of all it really bothers me that Catalina designed these not to be replaced. I will describe what I did, sounds like your job is the same. You will need a Dremel tool with a cutting bit, and I highly recommend bullnose wrenches. These are wrench ends meant to attach to a socket, but allow you to use at a 90 degree angle, The only way to access the nuts properly. Determine where you are going to cut by transferring the location of the stanchion from the outside to the inside, I measured over to the edge of a window then back over to the location inside. After you have removed the wood trim you will then have to cut an access hole in the molded part of the hull with the Dremel tool. From what I understand this does not affect the structual integrity of the boat and the wood trim, when replaced, will cover the hole. I opted for a rectangular hole rather than round as I felt I could get my hand and tools in easier. You need to reach the bolt to thread the the nut. I did this by myself which I would not recommend because I could not get to the caulk outside before it setup, making it harder, but not impossible to remove. Someone topside cleaning the excess caulk would be a benefit. Cut the hole approx. 3" High and 4" wide, of course the wood trim that covers will determine how high you can go. One word of caution, you don't know what is running behind the hole you cut, in my case I did cut the power line running to the aft cabin light, but this was an easy splice at the end. I really don't have any advice there other than to make a small exporatory hole first to check for wires. Once the hole is cut you will have access to the bolts to thighten the nuts. Don't, of course, forget the caulk, and as I mentioned good idea to have some help topside. You can use a regular box wrench at this time, I had the bullnose wrenches from the previous failed repair so I used them, made the job easier. Snug the nuts up and of course do not over tighten, but you do want snug.. Other than that you are done and now have permenent access to that stanchion should you need to tighten or replace in the future. If unclear on anything I mentioned pleas let me know.

Herb Creech
Cloud Chaser 606