[C320-list] Charging batteries with a Honda Generator

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 10 09:49:07 PDT 2011

Tim, if you are a cruiser and want a quick recharge with a generator the
more amps the better.  The size of your charger and the battery state
determines how long you have to run your generator. I assume less is better.
Therefore, the largest charger you can afford is better.

If mostly a week-ender and you can leave your charger on at the dock, then
even a 20A charger will do.  The batteries determine the charge acceptance
rate not the charger.  If your charger is undersized it will just take
longer to recharge.

I replaced my 15 yr old ferrite charger this year with the Xantrex TC2-A
40amp.  I've left it on for the past 6 weeks through all of the 90+ deg days
and when I checked the batteries they needed no water.  Should have done
that replacement long ago.

Xantrex this year came out with the TrueCharge 2A model.  If you can find
any of the previous TC 2 (no A) they should be at a good price.  Try ebay
and Amazon, and the online marine dist.

Warren & Pattie Updike
1994 C320 #62 "Warr De Mar"