[C320-list] Down Wind Speed Tips

Jeff Hare catalina at thehares.com
Thu Aug 11 11:58:48 PDT 2011

I have no idea if these are race approved. We don't race much, but...

Our boat moves fastest downwind when the apparent wind is on the stern quarter (120 degrees off the bow according to our st60 wind gauge)

When *almost* but not exactly dead downwind and the seas aren't rough, we run wing and wing but sail by the lee with a preventer to keep the Genny pulling. We sail pretty fast that way.

As for mainsail controls, we use quite a bit of Vang and keep the boom just off the aft lowers and make sure the top of the sail doesn't twist much.

-jeff

Rick Evans <ericstillwellevans at gmail.com> wrote:

I race my 320 in club races have new race sails and do rather well. I have a
deep keel and she is a rocket upwind up to a beam reach. Running of any kind
she is a pig. Does anyone have any suggestions or had any luck with getting
her to run down wind faster?

Before you answer I do and know the following:
Its Wednesday nights on the Western LI sound so winds are usually light
under 10 knots

- I let all main sail controls lose; outhall, vang, even let the halyard
down a an inch. Then we trim up from there.
- The jib cars are forward and we pole out if the angle calls for it.
- I get weight forward, but not so far forward that the bow dives.

Any tips anyone could add to these would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Rick
724