[C320-list] documentation

Karl Mielenhausen _/) C320 at suddenlink.net
Sat Aug 13 13:14:41 PDT 2011

Not exactly Herb:

> CHAPTER I: COAST GUARD, DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY (CONTINUED)
> SUBCHAPTER G: DOCUMENTATION AND MEASUREMENT OF VESSELS
> PART 67: DOCUMENTATION OF VESSELS
> Subpart I: Marking Requirements for Vessel Documentation

> 67.121 - Official number marking requirement.

> The official number of the vessel, preceded by the abbreviation "NO."
> must be marked in block-type Arabic numerals not less than >three inches
> in height on some clearly visible interior structural part of the hull.
> The number must be permanently affixed to the >vessel so that
> alteration, removal, or replacement would be obvious. If the official
> number is on a separate plate, the plate must be >fastened in such a
> manner that its removal would normally cause some scarring of or damage
> to the surrounding hull area.

However, as a USCGAUX vessel examiner, I am flexible on the concept of
"visible". If someone opens a door or moves a cushion to expose the
number, I accept that. I consider a bulkhead to be a "structural part of
the hull". I have even been known to accept the inside surface of a door.
In fact, if the number is displayed in the "open", I suggest that a second
version of the number be applied in a less visible, "secret" location that
a criminal might not find, but that the USCG or law enforcement might.

Heres what the CFR says about marking:

> § 67.123   Name and hailing port marking requirements.

> (a) For vessels other than those covered in paragraphs (b) and (c) of
> this section, the name of the vessel must be marked on some clearly
> visible exterior part of the port and starboard bow and the stern of the
> vessel. The hailing port of the vessel must be marked on some clearly
> visible exterior part of the stern of the vessel.
> (b) Vessels with square bow. For vessels having a square bow, the name
> of the vessel must be marked on some clearly visible exterior part of
> the bow in a manner to avoid obliteration. The name and hailing port
> must be marked on some clearly visible exterior part of the stern.
> (c) Recreational vessels. For vessels documented exclusively for
> recreation, the name and hailing port must be marked together on some
> clearly visible exterior part of the hull.
> (d) The markings required by paragraphs (a), (b), and (c) of this
> section, which may be made by the use of any means and materials which
> result in durable markings, must be made in clearly legible letters of
> the Latin alphabet or Arabic or Roman numerals not less than four inches
> in height.

(c) and (d) are what apply to us.

BTW, Recreational vessel means “a vessel--
(A) being manufactured or operated primarily for pleasure; or
(B) leased, rented, or chartered to another for the latter's pleasure.”(46
USCS § 2101)

Karl Mielenhausen
USCGAUX Vessel Examiner (and your commodore for a few more days)

--
Karl Mielenhausen
Catalina 320 Hull 690