[C320-list] Asym halyard block or second jib halyard?

Jon Vez jonvez at comcast.net
Fri Aug 19 14:33:17 PDT 2011

Some feedback on the UPS--My 355 came with a removable bowsprit and a Doyle
UPS. The pros are it has a great range and you are much more inclined to use
it since it is *almost* like your jib and if you set it up at the dock
(about 5 minutes) it's there. We had an Asym on our 320 and to be honest
there were plenty of days where we were just too lazy to set it up and use
it.

The downside is that using a continuous line takes a lot of pulling. The
sail is large and it seems to take forever to furl. If I had it to do all
over, I think I would consider using the removable bow sprit with a standard
Asym in a sock. The bow sprit makes a huge difference in terms of having the
sail out far enough. On the 320 we used the anchor bail, which was the best
you can do...hope this helps....

Regards,

Jon Vez
Formerly #582