[C320-list] Props....

Brad Kuether bkuether at comcast.net
Sun Aug 21 20:42:23 PDT 2011

How funny.  Warren, Patty and I were discussing props this weekend.

I put the Flex O Fold on my 2004 and will NEVER look back.  The prop makes
the sailing experience so smooth, and the light wind performance on the boat
has been AMAZING.  I specifically took the 2004 model over the 2002, because
of the SS shaft.

I was told the bronze shafts were "no good" for folding or feathering props,
not sure if weight is the factor, but suspect it plays.

I have had a half season so far and here is what I know:

Forward - Much better performance than the stock 3 blade fixed.  Same speed,
less RPM as advertised.

Reverse - Slightly better than the the 3 blade fixed.

What I like best - The ride is smooth.  There is talk that at a certain
windspeed it doesn't matter which prop you have.  I disagree with that
statement, and invite all those who want to be "enlightented" to come for a
test sail.

What I don't like - Going backwards, you really don't want to go from
reverse to forward.  The whole thing is very un-natural and you know it must
be taking a toll on "something".  I avoid it as best I can.

The boat show price for the prop was $1800, thats $300 more than the
feathering Kiwi prop.  And no, I don't have a bias against plastic blades,
my CDI had them and I loved that prop....

-Brad, Mary, Monica, and Jarod
"Independence"
2004 Catalina 320 Hull 1006
Middle River, MD