[C320-list] Inverter placement

Albrecht, Alan Alan.Albrecht at Williams.com
Wed Aug 31 13:26:35 PDT 2011

We had a 1500 watt inverter on Milagro 751 when we got here 9 years ago. Here is one explanation as non-technical as I can make it.
Your C320 has two electric systems, one 12V dc and one 120 Volt a/c. The inverter will act as a one way bridge between the two systems. With a/c power on, current flows one way from the a/c bus through the inverter/charger to the batteries as a charging current. Internally the inverter/charger has a device called a static switch that can detect the a/c in the shore power system. With no shore power you have the option of selecting the batteries as a power source for the inverter. In this case, current flows the opposite way from the batteries to the inverter and back through the a/c connection to the a/c bus and is available anywhere there is an a/c connection in the boat. As Warren pointed out in his email some GGCI circuits are very sensitive to the waveform of the a/c signal. Inverters are more of a square wave so generally speaking you will need to dump the GFCI receptacles for standard receptacles.

If it is any conciliation, I'm an electrical engineer and I heat my coffee with propane.

-----Original Message-----
From: c320-list-bounces at lists.catalina320.com [mailto:c320-list-bounces at lists.catalina320.com] On Behalf Of Raymond L Yager
Sent: Tuesday, August 30, 2011 5:07 PM
To: c320-list at lists.catalina320.com
Subject: [C320-list] Inverter placement

I'm sure this is a well worn topic, but as I am new to the 320, I thought I would ask your humble opinions on placement of an inverter.  If I place it in the same area as the batteries, under the starboard settee, I'm not sure how I would tie it into the AC without running an extension cord somewhere.  How have you all accomplished this? Yes,  I have a very nice & ultra-quiet Yamaha generator to power the shore power if needed but it is a PITA to pull it out just to warm up some coffee in the microwave.  Our marina doesn't have shore power to the docks yet; next year we hope.  I've heard of replacing the charger in the port cockpit lazarette with a combo charger/inverter but that seems like a long way from the batteries.  Running heavy battery cables from point A to point B might be a chore too.  I'm all ears.

Ray Yager
s/v Waypoint (432)
Littleton, Colorado