[C320-list] Inverter placement

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 31 12:49:21 PDT 2011

Ray, we use a small 200W inverter to power our TV, computer, tooth brush,
and etc.  It's been adequate so far.  These off-the-shelf products plugs
into the standard 12v receptacle in the salon. Above 400W, I believe it is
recommended that the inverter be directly connected to the battery. The
cords from our TV, converter, and powered antenna are plugged into a
home-maid outlet box with a cord and AC plug.  It's a simple matter to move
this plug from the inverter to the shore power outlet depending on whether
we have shore power or not.

For larger inverters, there are a number of considerations to make.  I don't
have this experience so I leave that to you and others.  From what I have
read, it is preferable to keep the inverter close to the battery and make
the AC run as long as necessary.  AC transfers better over distances than
DC, hence AC in our homes rather than DC.  Cable runs on our boats are a
piece of cake.  Just be sure to properly size the cable for the anticipated
load.

However, as a word of caution, our boats are fitted with GFI protection, and
I can tell you that GFI outlets don't seem to like power coming in from the
back door.  As a result, I had to replace ours and stay with the simple
approach described above.

Warren & Pattie Updike
1994 C320 #62 "Warr De Mar"