[C320-list] Fridge Usage

Jeff Hare Catalina at thehares.com
Mon Dec 5 18:31:45 PST 2011

Colin,

Here are our favorite tips we use for our sailing trips to make the fridge
more efficient.

1) Freeze 3 or 4 gallon sized plastic jugs of water at home before you leave
and put those at the bottom of the fridge under the shelves below the
freezer area.  They'll help keep the temp and cycling down.  When they melt,
you have fresh cold bottled drinking water.

2) When motoring or on the dock during the day, turn the freezer to its
coldest setting.  When on battery, turn it back to its normal setting.

3) The freezer compartment holds about 8 standard bottles of drinking water.
Our freezer will eventually freeze those.  When they're frozen, we move them
to the far side of the fridge and replace them with cold but unfrozen
bottled drinking water.  Cycling those around the fridge cuts down on
cycling a lot and keeps the food cooler.

4) Most importantly, cut a piece of Reflectix (Silver foil covered bubble
wrap insulation) the same size as the large rectangular opening of the
fridge.  If you cut it a half inch larger in width and length, it will stay
in place and not drop into the fridge.  This will keep the fridge much
cooler and cut way down on our fridge cycling.  Opening either side of the
fridge, you can just lift up the insulation get what you want and drop it
back into place. If you're concerned that the fridge insulation is not up to
par, use some of that Reflectix to line the inside walls.  With a moderately
full fridge, the food  will just hold it in place (or you could spray one
side of the foil bubble insulation with 3M Spray Mount (let it dry) and then
it'll just stick to the inside walls just like a big post-it note.  And will
just peel off for cleaning.

5) At Anchor/Dock/Mooring prop the Aft 2 lockers open just a bit to allow
the heat from the compressor to escape and increase  the efficiency and cut
down on cycling.  That compartment can get pretty hot from the compressor if
the heat is just trapped in there.

PS: I'll take some pictures next chance I get of how to fit the Reflectix to
the top edge of the fridge opening..  I couldn't be easier.

Good luck!
-Jeff