[C320-list] Fridge Usage

Donald Lawson dnclaws at aol.com
Tue Dec 6 11:03:51 PST 2011

Colin
Assuming your system is serviced and is as efficient as it can get.
I do all the things Jeff mentioned, except cycle water bottles through the freezer. My freezer is usually full of prefrozen food and ice cubes (Must have Mai Tai's) before leaving the dock.  My thinking is that once the water bottles melt it takes to much energy to refreeze them. My 2 cents. In addition:
1)  I have lined the bottom of the icebox with  layers of Reflectix (from Lowes). I cut  pieces of Reflectix and installed below the wire shelves. The Reflectix  takes up most of the room below the shelves. Just enough room left for 4
     1- quart frozen water bottles.  They are about 1/4 frozen after a week.
2)  I installed additional weatherstripping on the outside edge of my icebox lid. This is in addition to and not layered on top of the original weatherstripping. It is thin enough 1/8 in so it will compress such that the original also touches.
3)  I also installed a battery operated fan which I put below the freezer when I leave the dock. It lasts 30 days if I forget to take it out.
4) Great Idea using 3M Spray Mount. Going to put it to use. Planning for a 1-2 month cruise next year.  Maybe Mexico. Thanks Jeff !!

I now freeze beer at my old 4 setting and have had to lower the setting to 2-3. Outside temp at about 80 deg. You can also take up some room at the bottom with polyurethane foam (pink board or a boogie board) then install a layer of Reflectix. The less room you have to cool the less the refrig has to run.  Don't use styrofoam, it will end up disintigrating and  clog the drain with particles.
If All else fails: a genset?  A Honda Generator?  Solar Cells? And for the ultimate, remove the icebox and rebuild using Vacuum Panels. I know one who did that and his refrig barely  cycles at all.

Don #1005