[C320-list] Fridge Usage

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 6 11:29:19 PST 2011

I bought my Xantrex XBM monitor for about $200 and installed it myself.  The
instructions are very good.  Still, it can be a pain fishing the wires
depending on where you mount it vs. battery location. If you are used to
doing boat projects, you can do this.

The thing about batteries is they have a mind of their own. You can throw
all the juice in the world at them, they will take what they want (or can.)
I don't know what green light you refer to; but, any voltage based reading
may not give you a reliable state-of-charge.  The Balmar regulator is a
great instrument.  It can properly charge your batteries; but, it cannot
make your batteries take a full charge if they are sulfated as the batteries
just stop accepting the charge.  The symptom is that they appear fully
charged but run down quickly.  Specific gravity or load testing is likely
the best way to assess condition.

This past spring we bought two new house batteries with a new Xantrex
TrueCharge2.  With 400AH on the house bank, we can sit on the hook for two
full days before we have to charge some.  Couldn't do that on the old
worn-out boys.